Monday, June 30, 2008

Connections

Connections, was a ten-episode documentary television series created and narrated by science historian James Burke and is probably my all time favorite science show. Produced originally for the BBC in 1978, it was later replayed on PBS in the states. A second and third season were also made in 1994 and 1997, though I never saw any of the episodes. The show illustrated how scientific progress did not always progress in a linear fashion and that in some cases scientific discoveries were made because of pure chance. And pure chance is the reason I am writing here now if I had decided to start writing 30 minutes from now chances are that the out come of this prose would be different and is such the case with everything we do. I should have called the blog connections but I always enjoyed a misreading of a friend’s website better. I would like to apologize for this blatant plagiarizism, though the words have been reordered to protect the innocent. I am not sure how long I will keep this thing up but I have a few working subjects already in mind and if nothing else I figure that if come back in 10 years and read this I can remind myself of how silly I was. Finally watch for the bad grammar and misspelled words there will be lots of it. Enjoy.

No comments: